I have already written an extensive post on Alexa ranking and why it is so important for every blogger to secure a good ranking in it. Ranking in Alexa is the ultimate traffic indication signal which shows how many visitors are leaving their footprint in your blog in a particular point or period of time. It compares the number of visitors and rank website in chronological order. Lower the number stands more traffic coming in.
Isn’t our ultimate goal getting more traffic?
Certainly it is. So in order to be in favorable state in this traffic ranking game, one needs to claim website on Alexa first.
Do I Really need to do this?
Well, Alexa does it itself by indexing in their web-database when a new domain comes into the internet world. But usually, it takes time. So, it is always a prudent act to take the responsibility in your hand by submitting website to Alexa and claim the ownership yourself. This small tutorial will help you to complete the process hassle free. Here we go:-
- To start the process, first thing we need to do is to go to Alexa.com and create a new account. One can either opt for Email registration or can simply use the Facebook Account login process.
2. After completing the sign up process log in to your account and go to Alexa Dashboard
3. There you will be asked if you own a website “add my site”. Click on that button and a pop up window will appear. Now add your website name on that given field and click on “View Plans & Pricing” and you will be redirected to detail Plans and Pricing page.
4. Alexa offers a wide range of products and services. The starting plan is free and others are chargeable. Being a newbie one can always start with the free plan and later migrate to higher monthly Pro plan to avail more benefits and exposure. Hit the button under free plan.
Update: – After the recent site modification, Alexa no more offers free sign up plan. If someone does not want to go for pro monthly plan then can follow the below mentioned steps to reach the verification page.
A) Log in to your account and click on home page.
b) Enter your site name and click on go.
c) You will land in your Site Overview page. Scroll down at the bottom right side of the page and Click on “Edit Site Info”. A pop up window will appear. Click on “Claim This Site” and that will lead you to verification options page.
Now this is the most critical part. If you have already done Google analytic verification process then this will be a cake walk for you. On the landing page You will be given 2 options to verify your site :
- First Method – Upload alexa verification file to the main Root file directory through the FTP Cpanel . Here you can download a file and then upload to the site root directory.
- Second method – You can verify your site adding by an ID to you homepage through theme setting, which will be provided to you by Alexa. This is relatively an easier process if you are not comfortable handling Cpanel.
- Click on method one and a box will appear below containing a file which we need to upload in our main root directory through cPanel.
- Log in to your cPanel
- Upload the file you downloaded and click on “verify the file on your site”
- If everything’s done right, you will be shown success massage.
Method 2: (e)
- Click on method two
- Copy your verification id ( example = Cl7F-Xz7ipDRMve0PEbjzptmCtA) from the box which appears below
- Go to your WordPress dashboard
- Click on WordPress SEO plugin dashboard (if you are not using this amazing SEO plugin by Yoast yet, I suggest you to do that first. You really can’t afford not using it.)
- Paste the verification id and hit on save changes.
- Go back to alexa site and click on “verify my id” and there you are.
Once you claim website on Alexa, you can go to your dashboard menu and edit site information, which I consider another important step one should complete. This not only gives your site a professional identity but also helps to get more reviews by other users. Positive reviews come to the aid of getting lower Alexa ranking, the most important aspect advisers look on a site.
P.S – If your website is quite new then Alexa won’t have sufficient data to show in the beginning. If it does, you can surely witness positive improvement within few days of submission.
Over to you :
Our blog climbed few steps up after we claim website on Alexa. What about you? Did you find any improvement? If you still believe it’s giving sluggish performance, then try adding Alexa Widget on your blog. It helps in a great deal to reduce traffic ranking.